Security systems are frequently considered in the context of young children or families that need defense against trespassers and other problems. Ironically, it seems that in this situation, older individuals are occasionally disregarded. Although there is a certain amount of risk for everyone, regardless of age, older people typically live in more remote areas and have more weakened health, so it is actually crucial to ensure their safety and protection. Here are the top five reasons why senior citizens require home security systems.
1. Deterrence of crime. This is blatantly clear and what most people consider when considering the benefits of purchasing a home security system. Criminals can attack at any time, irrespective of the victim’s age, location, or personal circumstances. In fact, because of their physical limitations, seniors are sometimes considered an excellent target for thieves. The presence of a burglar alarm will discourage thieves since they will no longer view the residence as an easy target. If the burglar still chooses to enter the home, the security system can capture the burglar’s actions using CCTV cameras; in this instance, the police will be able to stop the crime or apprehend the burglar.
2. Monitoring. A home security system also has the excellent advantage of serving several functions. Older adults have the possibility of experiencing a fall or a stroke at any time, which could take away their mental capability and prevent them from calling for help. For persons over 65, falls are the main reason for hospital admission. Thankfully, modern home security systems include an application that can track the condition of the property’s security and deliver live feeds from IP CCTV cameras, thanks to advancements in technology. Therefore, no matter where they are, a close member of an elderly person can always take control of the situation. In order to respond quickly in the event of a medical emergency, most security systems can now be coupled with a monitored fall sensor or medical pendant.
3. The eradication of all threats. Security accessories today serve purposes other than deterring crime. In reality, there are further advantages to home security systems, such as their ability to survive other emergencies like fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. This is crucial because it has been established that older people account for a large portion of home fire fatalities as a result of their inactivity or forgetfulness. Smoke detectors and gas leak detectors that provide early notice of danger and send alerts to security agencies may be included in a modern home security system. Additionally, there are tools for detecting carbon monoxide, a silent but lethal gas.
4. Residence automation Smart home systems, which can offer more than just security and warning, are another important benefit. Anyone can live more comfortably thanks to smart features, thus elderly people will gain even more from this solution. For instance, smart electric locks can be installed to eliminate the need for keys by enabling door opening through smartphone or password. Additionally, you can set different functions to cooperate in order to improve comfort and safety. Use smart lights, for instance, that turn on when motion is detected in the room to lower the risk of falls and injuries. Additionally, you can program them to intermittently turn on the lights even when no one is home, which will deter potential thieves.
5. Investing. The productivity of the home itself can be significantly increased by a smart security system, which brings us to our final benefit. For instance, if you purchase a smart thermostat, you may reduce your power costs while keeping your home comfortable.
There are several reasons to think about purchasing an older security system. After all, there are many advantages to take into account, such as the reduction of accidents, financial savings, increased productivity, and ease of life.